Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
  • Current Season / Year: Summer 2021, Y1

[AW] Tell me what the rain knows.

All welcome thread

Orioxel

Finally, It had been a long two days since the trek into the Mineku Mountains but Mal was finally home. It was a modest little log cabin he'd spent a few years making. It was no easy task, Even then it was mostly just big enough for a small bed and a shelf he also made out of wood and bone. The shelf had knick-knacks of stuff he'd been crafting, papers, journals, books he'd scavenged. Crude candles he made from animal fat turned into wax. He lighted one using a small stick with the tip dusted with phosphorus he processed from grinding bonemeal. He had a marble mortar and pestle he traded for, and a bunch of dried herbs in his little corner of the room. The hut had a thatch roof that needed to be repaired again as it leaked from the ceiling. Outside was a firepit and the area around the hut was cleared of trees with various stumps nearby.

Upon seeing the hut as he dragged the knapsack in one hand, and the broken leather pouch in another, he felt completely exhausted. What a wild two days it had been. His thoughts were still going crazy. The mask was the only part of him that didn't look like a mess despite it being broken completely a day ago. The moment he threw his stuff haphazardly in the shack, he went around the back and grabbed seasoned meat that was on a drying rack. The cured deer venison had tasted amazing and wasn't too old. Thankfully it was under the shade of a Cedar Pinetree and no rain had washed away the drying process. The ashes of the fire he had underneath to speed the meat being dry cooked were damp from the moisture in the air. In a few minutes, he ate all the meat he had in reserve, the hunger sated for now. Maloraq sighed as his stomach still growled. He'd need to put on a lot more weight come winter, otherwise, he might not make it. I'm so close he thought to himself. Now was the time for research. Bones... It's always been about bones. he thought running into the hut. There was a reason he was the most gifted bone smith in his old Vetr clan. He never knew until now that he could actually feel all the different fibers and inner workings of the bones before. He took an old knife fashioned from a sharpened jaw and fangs tied together with leather and fur. The handle had been broken due to the femur having been fractured in the process of chiseling holes into it to tie everything together. Constant use of stabbing and swinging made the fracture crack completely. Holding the two halves of the broken knife, he could feel how they could still fit together. Focusing energy on the pieces the space between melded back together and he got excited pouring more magickal energy into it. His eyes glowing brightly. Not only was it good as new he was able to mold all the different pieces of bone together to make a single object instead of many pieces fashioned together. It was super solid and the leather, the fur pieces fell off. What was left was something that didn't look possible. A curved blade of the jaw bone with fangs from a predator species attached to the half-femur of a dead person. Of course, this was before he figured horns of animals made better-gripped handles. The knife still looked unwieldy looking more like a half short-sword half scythe. But now the early broken prototype actually had purpose again. He walked outside feeling giddy. He carved up a tree and noticed the energy he put into the bone made it far stronger than what should be possible. He took a few good whacks at the trunk and was amazed how deeply and almost effortlessly the bones sliced into the wood. He lost himself and kept whacking and whacking and whacking.

Suddenly the bones grew hot in his hands and exploded in a spectacular fashion. The fragments hit his body like a grenade and the blast knocked him to his feet. He grumbled in pain feeling several areas in his arm painfully bleeding. Some were in his chest and face. He pulled them out like needles and unbeknownst to him some pieces were actually absorbed into his body. Horrified he noticed that there was an open flesh wound on his shoulder. The skin was sliced open, and he was horrified to see exposed parts of muscle and bone. Yet... It didn't hurt as much as it should have. The blood seeped down his chest. He tried remembering something from his past. The mentionings of Rokkr... Being half-blood. This was too much. Too much to absorb. He quickly went to work grinding up an antiseptic and applying it to his shoulder. He bit his lip as it burned. He'd have to stitch it later. He wrapped it in some hide that was also on the drying rack. After doing some patchwork to his wounds, and making sure the blood clotted, he carefully sat outside. Yes, he remembered them explaining he'd been half Grunn and half Rokkr but he didn't really know what either of those two words really meant. At the time he didn't care about other races. Though now he wished he had paid attention.
He looked at the shattered fragments from the knife and the tree which he'd cut deeply into. Even with a flint hatchet that would've taken him hours to do what he did in a few moments. Almost like he shaped the blade to be so thin and sharp it could carve away the wood like it was lard. Yet the more he poured into the bone that energy had nowhere to go and it just exploded. Interesting he thought placing an elbow on his knee and resting his chin on the hand. For the moment he was too consumed in thought to notice what was happening in his surroundings other than a small downpour had started.​

Last edited:

Ginga

Staff member
eBZ9jCF.png

This was it.. His first opportunity to reach out to the lost. The ones scattered like roaches under the witch of a woman. Two scents one fleeting to the north farther up the mountain and another lower to its base. They were foreign to the community but not to Vetr. Both scents pulled at his heart for a moment, what would he find at the end of each trail? A broken individual? A lost soul looking for purpose? A hardened madman? He shook his head and thought of his purpose. He would bring the Vetr together under one banner. They all deserved to be whole once more.

Easily his wings took his furred body into the skies, his legs pulling up and tucking into the long furs of his stomach. The breeze was chilly as he headed up the mountain, the scent below him but he was sure he'd see the trespasser from up here. The ice along his flanks cracking and splitting. The shards crushing into each other as it formed a hardened shell over his most vulnerable spots. His neck, flanks and back soon was completely covered with thick pieces of glacier ice. The air around him turning the soft grey clouds into frozen icey clouds. The rain from them slowly turning into snow as he flew through them. The only indication he was there was his tail hanging down through the bottom of the clouds. The ice scythe calling fear to those who see it.

It wasn't long before blood wafted up into his nostrils from below. In an instant he twisted his body and headed for the earth. His wings spreading out like two large parachutes and his legs outstretched to land perfecting in the little treeless plain. As his legs hit the ground some shards of ice cracked and dropped to the ground around him. His Aura of frost touching the ground and making the grass start to grow a layer of crystalline water. His large aqua eyes staring down at the male sitting down with fresh wounds. His jowls dropping a bit to pant at the exertion to land but other then that he was completely still waiting for the males reaction. His eyes gauging the need to dodge anything.

Orioxel

There was a sudden change in the air. It got colder, and while Mal had been used to temperature change living near a mountain this was unnatural. The sudden rain had turned to hail and snow. He could hear the frozen water hit the sides of the trees. Even all the moisture in a few trees suddenly froze making their bark pop open. He kept his kneeled position and felt all the hair on his arms rise and his muscles tense as he heard a thud behind him and a loud flapping. Quickly the scents drifted to his nostrils. One that was all too familiar. He slowly rose, a deep laugh billowing from the back of his throat as he looked to the sky and watched the flakes hit his stag mask.

"You finally found me." his voice growled in the tongue of the mountain people. "If you are here to finish the hunt then let our fight be glorious. Vetr." Suddenly he focused on all the pain on his left arm and felt the vibrations and surge of energy. The black spots of the mask's eye holes started glowing a brilliant amethyst as he surged with magick. Instinctively Maloraq shot up to a standing position while simultaneously twisting his torso around with his arms into a standard Vetr fighting stance. However, the moment his arm moved forward to be in front of his body, outstretched towards the glacial wolf, all the bone fragments inside the tree, the ground, and even the fragments stuck in his body from the knife flew forward in a flurry of tiny missles. Maloraq froze in shock as he witnessed this and grinded his teeth in pain as he felt all the bones that had embedded in his flesh suddenly rip themselves free. The ones he'd absorbed also tore from his flesh causing him to bleed once more where he had been impaled.

The moment he felt the pain and shock of his sudden attack he wasn't expecting to happen the precision of the needles flying forward spread out and a lot of them hit the surrounding trees and some still headed straight for the newcomer. Maloraq watched in awe and anxiety as he did not want to attack first but prepare himself if a fight broke out to defend himself.​

Ginga

Staff member
ziomek.png
Large white ears perked at the remarks of the male. The wolf scanning its surroundings for a moment as if this would be an acceptable place to fight. Yet that was never his intention. Wings pulled close around the form of the wolf as the sound of the change began. Bones bending and breaking at the mere force of his will. White hair sculpted from his head, while his jaw shortened and nose flattened into a human face. The rest being hidden behind large aqua essence wings.

The attack was not predicted but not surprising either. Ice covered his body in an instant but even then some of the bone shards embedded themselves into his wings and one into the left side of his face. The area around them seeming to drop a few degrees in temperature. Blood began to dribble and drip from his wings but not an expression was seen on his now bloodied face. Instead the King of Vetr stepped forward and let his wings fall to his sides. His movements were slow and eased to send a silent message that he was not a threat. His steele gaze peering down at the defensive male like that of a concerned comrade in battle. "I did not hunt you down to end your life Brother." He paused and let his gaze look over those wounds he'd caused himself from the attack. "In fact I came to do the opposite. I want to offer you your home back. The Queen is dead." His voice was even and calm even as the blood from his face seemed to soak into the green cloak around his shoulders.

"I am Adaeus Chuterfrost.. The bringer of Winter's justice." His voice changed very little from word to word. Ices watching for any sign of a fight as his ice crept out around the both of them. Its growth out of his control as the grass changed to flat slippery terrain in a little under four minutes. "If you wish to fight I will succeed but your life is more important than your death in the message I'm spreading." This time his voice a little more commanding bringing about the idea that change was about to happen. The male having choices now instead of this frozen existence alone.

Orioxel

The masked male stared and stayed deathly still as the ice lord endured the sudden storm of marrow. They took the form of man and looked regal to boot. The words beginning to utter from the chilled figure didn't quite resonate with Maloraq. There was no hunt? Promise of home... Yet Maloraq was already home. The sheer cold began to slow the flow of blood dripping from the hermit's body. The wounds felt prickly and sharp. The word queen meant almost next to nothing to him. His arms stayed raised, his shoulders slightly relaxed. The light, emitting from the sunken depths where the eyes were meant to be in the skull mask darkened. It wasn't as vibrant but an ethereal mist of amethyst poured out.

More words. More talk. More dribble. Mal's expression under his 'face' frowned and he slightly lowered his head, the horns starting to point at this Adaeus like any horned beast would for intimidation and protection. With a low growl, Mal backed up closer to the tree behind him. It had been so long since his Vetr family was his home. His small tribe branched from the larger society of their people. Come to think of it, his tribe wasn't all true Vetr. Many had been adopted like himself and they took the values of the culture. Perhaps they might've been more extreme with the religious aspects. However... He couldn't remember what they taught about Vetr Hierarchy. Maloraq didn't know of any queen, nor was his true people part of a kingdom. Could he trust some stranger claiming to take the throne of something Mal wasn't even aware of? The choice of words also felt bold yet at the same time dawned on Mal that maybe the people he was dealing with were far superior.

He couldn't summon a giant serpent as his slave could. Nor could he summon the cold itself to claim its grip around his enemies. Maloraq shook his head with a smirk and tilted his head upwards. The missing lower jaw of the mask revealing his mouth. "What is a king to a God slayer? You offer me home yet you intrude on mine." Maloraq said with vigor and pounded his chest with his wounded bloody arm. "There was no justice to weigh my sins, I ran from the judgment. Royalty means nothing to me." He huffed as his posture changed fully upright. His other hand carefully stroked his chin. "Tell me Adaeus what can you offer to somebody who has died a long time ago? I am not Vetr. That boy no longer exists. You cannot be the king of Maloraq."

Ginga

Staff member
There was a constant attempt to not show a reaction to the male's words. His nonchalant attitude and disclaiming of his family made one of the ice chunks on his chest grow a little more and crumble to the ground. Other wise there was no ruse. Those pale eyes staring down his nose with the most unenthusiastic look he'd held all day. "Indeed.." He spoke to show he was still listening even though the little warmth there had been before seemed to vanish in a cloud of frost. "A king? You wish to impose that I would resume the throne because the Queen is dead?" He paused and took a step toward the man with a sigh heaving from his breast.

"You assume too much. I am no king and as for your trial or 'sins' I care not. I am only offering a home among the people who wish to serve the North." His voice gave off an air of indifference even as he moved for his dagger, pulling the small blade from his belt and flipping the handle in his fingers. "Though If you decide that you truly aren't a Vetr.. Then you can make your home off their mountain." He paused and let the ice over his body spread more until his entire torso was just a shimmering plate of ice. "I will not deal kindly to those who choose to hold onto their hatred or fear. Those few I would cut down in an instant because that is how evil grows. One spiny head of a thistle will spread and ruin the whole garden.." He growled and pointed the blade tips towards his sleeve. Pulling the blade across the fabric, Adaeus cut it into strips and handed some to this Maloraq.

"As for intruding on your home... I hadn't realized you would be unsettled by it. I had hoped you would be gladdened by the news and come along with the rest of us.. My sincerest apologizes." His body arced down in a sweeping bow. His eyes only leaving Maloraq for a few seconds before coming back to an upright position.

Orioxel

Clearly, Maloraq had been entirely mistaken. Yet for some reason he almost didn't want to back down on what he had already said, it felt like a weakness. Yet if he were to double down at this point he'd only proceed to make a fool of himself even fuller than before. There were times to pick battles and times to swallow pride and bite the bullet. One thing that Maloraq couldn't get over was the claim of this Adaeus stating he'd easily win. Sure Mal felt like that may be true yet at the same time, his body urged to prove the cold knight wrong. That this wasn't some farce that Mal had conceived to be true.

Oh well, a friendly Vetr face wasn't so bad, was it? It proved a few things that had put the hermit to ease. Yet at the same time how could this person be trusted? Maybe cause he'd just been assaulted by a barrage of bones and still had the gal to offer this crazy tribal man a home. Maloraq reached out with long slender boney fingers and sharp nails gently taking the cut sleeve and studying it in his hands, rubbing it with a thumb.

He looked up and decided to take off his mask revealing his true face. Gray serpentine eyes shined at the frost soldier. "A warmth I haven't felt in years. Vetr kinsman, I apologize for my brash behavior and advances to spit on your Amiable offer. In return, accept my token of revealing my old face as exposure of weakness." At the same time, Maloraq took a knee before the man and bowed his head. "Before you, is a scared angry, lonely fool who is enraptured by delusions of grandeur." He spoke almost as though a different person had taken over. This is what Eteri would've said on Mal's behalf. The frost close to the ground ate gluttonously at the warmth of the bowing man. His body shivered a bit but the mask was on the ground and it stared up at Adaeus. A shimmer of purple gleaming in sunken holes where eyes should be. They held a pit of black of no return. The long hair of Mal fell around his neck and he hadn't moved until the man wanted to say what he needed to.

Ginga

Staff member
While in his bent over state Adaeus got a good look at his face in the ice. His eyes narrowing at the blood and bones etched into his cheek an then moving to the spot on his wing as well. The rest of that clothe he'd handed to the rogue still held in his hands. As if for the first time he seemed to react to the pain in his face with a soft twitch. Taking a deep breath his eyes closed, taking a moment of silence before the bone spurs wiggled and pushed themselves out of his skin. Only it wasn't themselves but ice manipulated under his skin to move the fragments without tearing more of his face. As the shards dropped to the ground he planted one of the clothes over his cheek and moved the next to his wing. Both shards seeming to have come out at the same time.

Eye rose from closed lids to see the man now mask less. An unexpected gesture from what had seemed to be a hostile shifter not only moments ago. Those eyes seemed familiar to him like a story way beyond the grey slits but he would not push for it now. No that would be a good story for a campfire and his people. The new words and warmth from Mal set him back even farther and a warmth drew in his chest. The ice armor on his chunked and started to fall form him to reveal the man beneath once more. Even the ice along the ground seemed odd as if time turned backwards, the icy floor going back to frost. The exposure to the other male's weakness giving him courage and in a show of respect he too let his armor down to make for a bond of kinship. This time it seemed to be Mal who bowed which caused a smile to crash Adaeus' otherwise dormant face.

Just like he himself only a year ago stood a man with no direction. A man full of fear and purposeless life waiting to be molded and taken to higher places. "Stand anew Maloraq, May your legs lift you into a new world of meaning and life behind those grey eyes. Stand and become part of the living body of the North. Let us become comrades in pushing out the wickedness of these lands and spread the warmth we have been given. The God of the North wishes for his children to no longer segregate themselves but live together in love and in life. The horn of the ram has been broken but his hooves still beat over the rocks." He smiled but faltered just a tad when his eyes locked onto the mask. Those eyes sending an unwavering shiver through him but he covered it quickly.